Easy Christmas ornaments from upcycled denim
Every year I bake lots of different Christmas cookies to give as gifts to my colleagues and neighbors. I like decorating those bags with simple handmade ornaments. Kind of Scandinavian minimalist style. They add a lovely touch to any small gift - a bag of cookies, book or box of chocolate. If you are looking for a minimalist holiday door decor you can simply attach few of them to a twig. The shape of ornaments was inspired by Christmas cookie cutters I have. It is a quick project using small pieces of upcycled denim or fabric scraps.
You will need
- a variety of Christmas cookie cutters
- a piece of freezer paper
- pieces of denim or/and fabric
- Steam-A-Seam double sided fusible web by The Warm Company
- tiny jingle bells or wooden beads
I would recommend to work on a batch of ornaments at one.
1. Draw the shapes or trace your cookie cutters onto a piece of freezer paper, cut them out. To cut out symmetrical shapes like a Christmas tree or a heart, simply fold the paper along the middle line and cut (like on the Christmas tree template in the upper row).
2. Cut a piece of Steam-A-Seam and 2 pieces of denim (or one piece of denim and one piece of fabric, or 2 pieces of fabric) slightly bigger than your template.
3. Fuse Steam-A-seam to the wrong sides of your fabric according to the instructions on the package. And iron on the freezer paper template on top of your fabric sandwich.
4. You can either trace the shape first or simply cut them. Personally, I like the feel of an ornament made from two pieces of denim the best - it feels nicely sturdy but not too thick, while I find the ones made from 2 pieces of fabric too thin.
5. Top stitch around the edge with contrast thread (decrease your stitch length to 2.0) - I used red on dark colored denim, tie and bury the thread. Iron the ornaments.
6. Now to decorate them! Fold piece of twine in half (approx 12 inch long), add a tiny jingle bell or wooden bead (or even a little fur tree branch) and you are done!
These ornaments are quick and easy but they do look great! I couldn´t stop and made another batch from light colored denim!
I would like to see what shapes of Christmas ornaments you will come up with, so please, tag me @nordiccrafter on Instagram.